Monday, June 30, 2014

Grace, Mercy, and Peace

As I knelt beside my bed praying this morning, I thought of the Scriptures that say in various forms the phrase, “Grace, mercy and peace be yours in abundance.”  And I thought of how we so need these in abundance. I was also thinking about how the Lord said to the apostle Paul, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." (2Co 12:9a).

Then when I entered my office a few minutes later, I turned on the quiet, instrumental music for devotions, and the first song was, “Your Grace is Enough” by Chris Tomlin. Then my Bible reading for today in 1 Timothy began with the phrase, “To Timothy, my true child in the faith: Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.” (1Ti 1:2)

So let’s take a look at grace, mercy, and peace, and this wonderful blessing that we can pronounce over one another.

The Lord told Paul, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” So Paul said, “Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.” (2Co 12:9)

Grace is from the Greek word “charis” meaning “benefit, favor, gift, grace, joy, liberality, or pleasure.” (Strongs).

No matter how obedient we are and how much we pursue holiness with the Lord, we all need mercy and grace to help us.  “Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.” (Heb 4:16).  He is the God of mercy!  His throne is the throne of grace!

This is probably why the apostles and disciples of the first century often greeted one another with a blessing of grace, mercy, and peace.

“To Timothy, my beloved son: Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.” (2Ti 1:2)

Grace, mercy and peace will be with us, from God the Father and from Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love.” (2Jn 1:3)

May mercy and peace and love be multiplied to you.”  (Jud 1:2)

The grace of the Lord Jesus be with you.” (1Co 16:23)

“[The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.]” (Rom 16:24)

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.” (1Th 5:28)

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all.” (2Th 3:18)

He said, "O man of high esteem, do not be afraid. Peace be with you; take courage and be courageous!" Now as soon as he spoke to me, I received strength and said, "May my lord speak, for you have strengthened me." (Dan 10:19)

So when it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and when the doors were shut where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst and *said to them, "Peace be with you." (Joh 20:19)

So Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you; as the Father has sent Me, I also send you." (Joh 20:21)

After eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus *came, the doors having been shut, and stood in their midst and said, "Peace be with you." (Joh 20:26)

“The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. The grace of our Lord Jesus be with you.” (Rom 16:20)

“I, Paul, write this greeting with my own hand. Remember my imprisonment. Grace be with you.” (Col 4:18)

“But may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. For neither is circumcision anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creation. And those who will walk by this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Israel of God. From now on let no one cause trouble for me, for I bear on my body the brand-marks of Jesus. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit, brethren. Amen. “ (Gal 6:14-18)

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, be with you all.” (2Co 13:14)

“All who are with me greet you. Greet those who love us in the faith. Grace be with you all.” (Tit 3:15)

Grace be with you all.” (Heb 13:25)

“Greet one another with a kiss of love. Peace be to you all who are in Christ.” (1Pe 5:14)

"God be With You"
Another beautiful greeting that was used often in the Bible days that is seldom heard any more is “The Lord be with you” or “God be with you.”  When we were in Hungary, I learned the phrase, “Isten veled van” for “God be with you.”  But we never hear this said anymore in America.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if we got back to using this biblical greeting!  Let’s see some of the instances where this was said in Scripture:

"Now listen to me: I will give you counsel, and God be with you. You be the people's representative before God, and you bring the disputes to God,”  (Exo 18:19)

"Just as we obeyed Moses in all things, so we will obey you; only may the LORD your God be with you as He was with Moses.” (Jos 1:17)

“Now behold, Boaz came from Bethlehem and said to the reapers, ‘May the LORD be with you." And they said to him, "May the LORD bless you.’" (Rth 2:4)

And David said, "The LORD who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear, He will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine." And Saul said to David, "Go, and may the LORD be with you." (1Sa 17:37)

"Now, my son, the LORD be with you that you may be successful, and build the house of the LORD your God just as He has spoken concerning you.” (1Ch 22:11)

"Of the gold, the silver and the bronze and the iron there is no limit. Arise and work, and may the LORD be with you." (1Ch 22:16)

The Lord be with your spirit. Grace be with you.” (2Ti 4:22)

“Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.” (Rom 15:33)

“Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all!” (2Th 3:16)

Attribution notice: Most Scripture quotations taken from the NASB. The "All in the Name of Love" painting © 2012 Danny Hahlbohm, all rights reserved by the artist.

Author's note Also see By Grace Alone.  You can access the Main Directory for Seeking the Lord, or my complete blog directory at "Writing for the Master."  Now I'd like to ask a very important question.

Do You Want to Know Him?
If you want to know Jesus personally, you can. It all begins when you repent and believe in Jesus.  Do you know what God's Word, the Bible says?

“Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of God, and saying, ‘The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.’” (Mar 1:14b-15).  He preached that we must repent and believe.

Please see my explanation of this in my post called "Do You Want to Know Jesus?"
_________________________________________________

Len Lacroix is the founder of Doulos Missions International.  He was based in Eastern Europe for four years, making disciples, as well as helping leaders to be more effective at making disciples who multiply, developing leaders who multiply, with the ultimate goal of planting churches that multiply. His ministry is now based in the United States with the same goal of helping fulfill the Great Commission. www.dmiworld.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are going to comment and you want it to be published, do not write in ALL CAPS, and use clear English. All comments will be evaluated before publishing. If they are of a hateful, belligerent, or vicious nature, they will not be posted.